Wednesday 8 May 2013

A Short Interlude from Food and Music


 A Warm Spring Morning or Up a Hill and Down Again
Foreword:   I decided to take a short break from my usual blog content today, since I wrote a little report of one of my favourite activities recently. That is mindlessly going up and down hills on foot-a remarkably calming interval between fairly stressful and thought filled days at work. I’ve been reading a book based in 16th century England recently, so this probably affected my writing a bit.
                                It was a warm spring morning when I awoke, a mite earlier than perhaps one might hope on a day of rest, but no matter, more day to be enjoyed then. It was with not a slight disappointment that I discovered my honey bee was still in the throes of an irksome malady. I did my best to rouse her from her malaise with some Chinese medicine and a cup of steaming and indeed most energising and delicately piquant lemon and ginger tea. However, it was to no avail, this low weather was not to be cleared with such ease. Had I considered the significant lack of will for the pungent aroma and wakeful bite of her usual steaming mug of coffee, I would have realised slightly earlier the thickness of the clouds over her health.
                                Upon the discovery of this unfortunate state of affairs she settled back into her bed and made a comforting nest of pillows, blankets and a game of the Sims, a game that mirrors reality in a most post-modern sense; one builds one’s own family and house as a paradigm of suburban reality. I felt I could not with good disposition miss such a spring day, hence I set off for Mudu 木渎. Being so familiar with not owning a bike in this city I struck out for the well-ordered coolness of the underground. I strolled up Bin He Lu 滨河路, the hot sun enveloping me in its penetrating rays. I dodged between the murderous traffic and past the liang mian 凉面 man concocting his cold witches’ brew of noodles and other Chines accoutrements in a metal bowl, thronged by a small crowd of hungry onlookers. Then I escaped, plunging into the dark tunnels to catch the train to the hills.
                                Out I came, into the unforgiving midday sun, as hot as mid-July back in my green and pleasant land, and dodged some more killers of metal and rubber. I surmounted the noisy belching bus and headed towards Lingyan Shan 灵岩山, whereupon I was greeted by the usual Chinese attempts to employ as many of its fine citizens as possible-some stalls, a ticket office and a separate man taking tickets, and almost terrifyingly sprightly old man of a pleasingly helpful disposition. He informed me that I should under no circumstances dispose of my ticket, but should store it in safely in my pocket of some other relevant safe area. I was then allowed to enjoy a rather small and empty little garden for 20 yuan and, after something of a short stroll, came to an exit gate where I was informed that the reason I should keep my ticket was to re-enter the tiny area of vague prettiness upon my return from the hill-which one can in fact enter gratis from around the corner.
                                As I began my walk up the hill, through an emerald tunnel of spring greens illuminated by vernal rays, I ruminated upon what Celia should least prefer: a congested head of mucal concrete or this sweaty stomp up a large hill-the latter I decided. Up, up I went, past crowds of laowai 老外 braying locals, panting and perspiring-for it was seldom that I felt I could run in the sticky polluted air of Suzhou 苏州 . At the top I came upon a temple with a much more reasonable 1 yuan entry fee. I willingly passed the happy old monk a 10p note and headed in.
                                It was a calming place, somewhat weather beaten in a charming sort of way. Inside there was a yard, a fine looking pagoda (closed to climbers) and a few gardens. In the garden at the back I was greeted by a wonderfully apt cultural display. No, not someone spitting on the ground and slurping soup, more the displays you hope for. There was a small group of about five practitioners of martial arts, practicing to a soundtrack of Chinese flutes, they were all clad in silken garments, loosely fitting to suit their flowing acrobatic arts. One man was clearly the master, and his fluid dance was a triumphant example of true human endeavour to behold. After some time observing this spectacle I felt it was the moment to continue my wander. As I reached the bald head of the shan I walked through the usual rabble of hawkers one finds in these places, stopped at the top, took a few pictures of the surrounding verdancy and headed down. On my way down I was distracted by a delightful Ugwei (turtle) artfully constructed of dried plant matter that I felt I had to buy to bring some sweetness to my honey bee’s day. I purchased it and continued my lope down the hill. As I left the chattering mob I was suddenly left alone and, filled with vernal joy, I broke into song. However, not for long, as I once again to run the gauntlet of the laowaing masses.
                                I remembered the little spot of calm, and was suddenly quite satisfied with my purchase as I was blanketed with a deep calm, far from the braying. I strolled for a little while more, allowing my feet to relax upon the welcome flatness. I came to the bottom of the garden, whereupon a little teahouse presented itself from behind the ornamental features. Therein I had a short discussion with the proprietor about her old teas and new teas from this year. I then settled down with a new green tea from this year and, for the first time in many moons, put pen to paper. I sincerely hope that this is but the first of many such fulfilling occasions.    

No comments:

Post a Comment