Friday 7 December 2012

Muslim Noodles-A Little Bit More


                                             After having a chat with a friend about my last blog post I realized I hadn't really fully explained Muslim Noodles. For example, why do we call it Muslim Noodles? Well, as you may have guessed the owners are Muslims and members of an ethnic minority, although I'm not sure which one. If anyone could shed some light on this that'd be great. I'll just quickly explain this for those less savvy about Chinese ethnicities. China is roughly ninety percent Han Chinese, but there are various other ethnic minorities who come from other parts of China and look a little different to the Han Chinese. There are the Uyghurs from Xinjiang in the north west of China (it is, in fact, a semi-autonomous region, similar to Tibet), who, having read some stuff about there cuisine, I believe are the creators of the aforementioned culinary delight. I may well be wrong and, as I said, any information would be great. The amount of Muslims in China surprised me and their food is almost always delicious, including many kebab type dishes, stews and barbecue dishes. As you get further over to the west I believe the food becomes less and less “Chinesey” and more like something Middle Eastern, as you'd expect when moving towards central Asia and the various Stahns (Kyrgyztahn boarders China). Anyway, to get back to the point, and before I meander off on a geopolitical tangent. the people who make lamian are largely slightly less Chinese looking and are almost always Muslims, it is a typical Chinese Muslim cuisine.
                                                   
                                      The places I went to in Hangzhou were largely advertised as Lanzhou noodle eateries. Lanzhou is really in central China, but because so many people leave in the east in China this is, relatively speaking, in the west. I'll just take you through some of my favourite dishes, where the centrepiece is the noodles, but the food that goes with is often pretty tasty. My personal favourite is tudou niu rou gai chou mien (too-dough nee oo row guy chow mee en), which means potato and beef over noodles. There is usually some green pepper and onion in there, too. There is a certain way they cook it that makes it salty and delicious and it always comes packing a garlicy punch. However, I like it because as with most of the other things you can order none of the flavours become overwhelming and there is a flavoursome cohesion to every order. Another favourite is xihongshi jidan gai chou mien (she-hong-shir jee dan guy chow mee en), tomato and egg over noodles. This one is good if you don't fancy quite such an assualt of carbs and is a little lighter, however it really will only fill you up for six hours, as opposed to the eight of the aforementioned repast. As my vegetarian friend Ed discovered you can pretty much rattle off a list of any vegetables you want and they will usually cook them up with noodles for you, but there are always the pictures if you want to have a point punt. Pleasingly, they always come with a side soup, usually a clear broth, sometimes with some greens in (qingcai or ching t-sigh). For anyone who lives in Hangzhou, I thoroughly recommend the branch on Xin Hua Lu, near the Feng Qi Lu kou (junction). For anyone who doesn't, I thoroughly recommend visiting to sample this tasty local cuisine, it's delicious and probably fairly different to any Chinese food you've tried. That's enough about Muslim noodles for now, I think some musical musings might be coming next, although I do have lots of other tasty stuff to go on about, so we'll just have to see... 
 
A map of China, showing where Lanzhou is.

No comments:

Post a Comment